Sunday, September 26, 2010

Old Friends

So I am reminded once again that it is important for me to write something every day. I know it has been forevverr, and I never even finished writing about Stone Dance. I apologize for my negligence.
I had an amazing experience the other night.
I woke up Thursday morning to 2 emails from an old friend. I met Dereck about 14 years ago. We met through mutual friends. I spent a lot of time with Dereck for about 5 years. Dinners on Sundays and Wednesday. He saw me through a marriage and a divorce. He held me a couple of times when my heart ached. We had many spiritual beliefs and practices in common. He was even my friend through my one and only girlfriend. He is a large quiet presence in my life.
When I moved away from my hometown 9 years ago we stopped spending time together. We were never phone people, so that was out as well.
I ran into him once about 7 years ago when I was back home for a visit. I went to the office of my best friend and saw him there. They worked for the same company for years, yet in all that time I only saw him once.
I woke up to an email saying he would be in town for a performance that night. The second email gave me his current cell number. Would I be able to make the show? Now, I have to say that I have become a bit of a late night curmudgeon. I used to stay up for days, do anything to have time with friends and never look at a clock.
What is it about turning 40? So much has changed. I now never know what awaits me around the corner. Am I going to wake up at 4 am? Will my period bring about new and disturbing symptoms? How about my new experience of acne? When I was a teenager, I almost never had a zit. Now that I am in my 40's, I woke up last week to 5 new huge zits on my chin. Overnight! Just like that! What the hell?
But I digress... I decided that I could meet Dereck before his show. I hopped in my car at 9 pm, drove the short distance to the bar they were about to play. I hwas just about to pay the doorman when Dereck walked over to greet me. We stepped outside where it wasn't so loud. He looked the same only better than when I first met him. Maybe better than isn't the right terminology. I guess I would say he looked more himself than I have ever seen him.
In the years we have been apart we both have done a lot of work to be more of ourselves. When he first saw me he said. "Phoenix, you look so clear. Like a translucent angel." I reminded him that I was in my 20's when he met me. Part of the growth is aging, part of it is the work I have done. This is one of the gifts of my 40's. I don't wait for things to happen, I get out and do them. I enjoy the moment. I have no thought for what others think of me. I live freely while taking care of others. I have also been apprenticing in Peruvian Shamanism (the Pachakuti Mesa tradition) for the last year. It hasn't always been easy, but it has definitely been worthwhile. My 40's may have lots of troubling surprises, but I wouldn't trade those for the upside any day.
In talking with Dereck about our recent journeys we both talked about the need to write. We agreed to be accountable to each other and make sure we are both getting our homework done.
So Dereck, this writing is for you. Thank you for coming back into my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment